Sunday 28 June 2015

Why the term 'tolerance' is not found in the Bible



I realised an interesting fact this week, that I never knew before - the term 'tolerance' does not occur anywhere in the Bible. This is how I came upon this remarkable discovery...

By now, everyone should be aware of the US Supreme Court ruling which legalised same sex marriages across all 50 States. My facebook newsfeed was flooded with articles which both supported and condemned the decision. I am very intentional about what I share on facebook. I believe that I have a responsibility, as a Christian, to speak the truth in love, and some of the posts I was reading came across as condemning. Many persons can quote John 3:16 by heart, but have never gone through the trouble of reading on to verse 17 which says, "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him"

So when I read an article that, in my opinion, was pointing to salvation rather than condemnation, I shared it. For those who have not seen it, this was what I posted:

"A homosexual is not a worse sinner than I am. I’m the worst of the worst, the chiefest of sinners, and if there is hope, love, grace, and forgiveness for me, it’s there for everyone.
And for those who are involved in such activities, for you, truly, my soul weeps, because whether you recognize it or not, you are separated from the love of God, lost, and in desperate need of a Savior.
I weep for you because the world around you is telling you this kind of behavior is normal and right, knowing that it isn’t, watching you walk into destruction without a care because your cause furthers a political agenda that will make them — the political ruling class — powerful and wealthy.
My prayers are that God would open your eyes to the truth, and you’d be rescued by the loving arms of Jesus Christ."
- Michael Cantrell  

In response, one of my friends posted this picture:

As with any issue that is contentious, I decided to search the scripture to see what the Bible says about tolerance, and I realised, it didn't.

Tolerance is a term that is used widely in the media, especially in reference to issues like homosexuality and abortion. It lulls persons into a false sense of belief that there is no absolute right or wrong; that once you believe that something is acceptable, no one should tell you differently.

Unfortunately for those who preach tolerance, the Bible begs to differ. God, who is the Creator of the Universe, has every right to establish His standards for morality. God makes it clear to us how He expects us to live if we want to be pleasing in His sight. He is not the author of confusion, so He does not leave it up to us to decide right from wrong.

It would be remiss of me to not warn my loved ones when I see them heading in a dangerous direction. Jesus was crucified by religious leaders who did not agree with His message. He refused to stay silent while people were being led astray by those who were in authority. As one of His followers, I too will speak the truth, even If this results in me being labelled as 'intolerant'.

Tolerance is not one of the fruit of the Spirit. So I choose instead, with God's help, to demonstrate love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Against such things, there is no law (Galatians 5:22-23)


6 comments:

  1. very insightful, love the last para. Praying for wisdom not to be caught up in hype, but to proclaim God's truth in love

    ReplyDelete
  2. very insightful, love the last para. Praying for wisdom not to be caught up in hype, but to proclaim God's truth in love

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sentiments exactly. .. we have a responsibility to speak the truth in love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sentiments exactly. .. we have a responsibility to speak the truth in love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sentiments exactly. .. we have a responsibility to speak the truth in love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for the encouragement and due reminder.

    ReplyDelete