Thursday 22 October 2015

How I am settling back in

Lots of people have been wondering what I have been up to since my return to Trinidad, and how I feel about being back. To answer the second part, I have mixed emotions. As you can tell from my last post, I got really close to a lot of people in Grenada - people that, up until two years ago, I didn't even know they existed! But now I am no longer a daily part of their lives, and, as happy as I am to reconnect with my friends and family here, I still miss my Grenadian peeps. And let's not talk about the lack of traffic and fear of crime and the beautiful beaches...

Last dip in Grand Anse, the breeding ground for starfish :)
I attended two funerals in my first four days back home. I am glad that I made it back to support my family in their time of need. The funerals also served as a good place for reunions :)

Liming with cousins after my uncle's funeral
At home, I have been busy with housework duties since Mummy is out of the country for a few months. This has been quite an adjustment, especially since our house here is at least three times bigger than my apartment in Grenada. And let's just say that thousands of ants, and not a few spiders, are wishing that I stayed in Grenada...
Bedroom cupboard ready for packing
Sweet potato casserole, stewed chicken and red beans
Kitchen cupboard freshly organised
I have also been able to spend some time getting reacquainted with the children who I left behind. The children who attend the Homework Center and Bible Club in my community were very happy to have me back. Some had graduated and are now going to 'big school'; there were also some new faces and names that I had to learn. Please pray for more volunteers so we could more effectively support these children in their academic and spiritual development.

Full house at Bible Club on my first Friday back
Helping Primary School children with their homework
And then there were those who were just babies when I left, or who had not even been born...

They were just a couple months old when I left...
Meeting  Baby Shalom 
I have also been able to reconnect with my friends from church, and also to play tour guide for friends from Grenada who were visiting here :)

Surprise lime for a friend from church
Nadia got the tour of South
Apart from these activities, I am also volunteering with ISCF Trinidad, Is There Not A Cause (preparing for a relief trip to Dominica in November) and Ekklesia Ministries (preparing for Carnival camp in February), so I don't have much time to be bored :) I'm not as involved as I was two years ago, because I'm not sure how long I will be here for, and I don't want to over commit myself. I'm still seeking God's clear direction about the next step He would have for me to take, so you can join me in prayer in that regard.

To all who I haven't seen as yet and would like to see me, you know where I live (or you can call to get directions ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment