Tuesday 19 November 2013

Embracing Grenadian culture

The past couple days I have been indulging in much of Grenadian culture, specifically the food...

It all started with a 'Potluck and Social' held at Wildwood Park on BBC Beach. God provided us with a lovely sunny day, after it had been raining all week.We had a great time playing games, liming, swimming, and of course, eating good food!


Beautiful beach weather

My friend Colleen who has got my back!

Johnell trying to block my path in Chinese Checkers but he was defeated :)

Just in case we planned a dancing session on the tables....

Bringing back the ole time days with hop skotch

Having a good rope swing

Had to wait in line for a turn at the tyre swing dem chirren was having too much fun

Oil down in Grenada is a little different from Trinidad - it is full of all kinds of meat (chicken, pork, crab, fish) and callaloo

Having my full after waiting 3 hours... dem does grate de coconut for this by hand!

Lambie for the after lime. It had some kinda octopus thing in here too

Then last night Sister Wilma decided to introduce me to another local delight - tittery. It's a pretty sad story how they get these fish - at a certain time of the year the fish come to a point in a river in order to spawn and that is when people spread out their bags to catch them. 

Curried tittery with beans

Last night I also got indoctrinated into the "Tanya Log" night lime. This is a traditional drink that is prepared especially for limes that occur in the night.

Colleen grating the nutmeg

Darius bubbling the pot - grated tanya, condensed milk, coconut milk and lots of spice

I helped by eating it afterwards - it was delicious! It was also the first time I had Grenadian guests at my apartment so that was a lot of fun.

Before I end this post, just wanted to share two more roundabouts from the lovely Spice Isle:
Consisting of three large truck tyres painted white, this one can take you into Woodlands or Lance Aux Epines (pronounced Lans-ee-peen) or back to Grand Anse

This was in Wildwood Park's car park - I guess they wanted it to blend in with the scenery

In case you haven't realised it, I am really enjoyed exploring and experiencing Grenada - I highly recommend it!

3 comments:

  1. Pics looks like you have fun getting to know Grenada and thier traditions. Have a bless week:-)

    ReplyDelete