In late 2025 when I heard that the Logos Hope would be returning to Trinidad in January 2026, I offered to volunteer, even though it was past the deadline date. The Volunteer Co-ordinator was happy to facilitate my application, because they were very short-staffed, and Trinidad is one of their busiest ports in the Caribbean. During the interview I was asked my reasons for volunteering and they remained the same as the previous three times I served: it gave me an opportunity to share Jesus with persons who visit the Book Fair, it allowed me to provide support to the Logos crew so they would have a lighter work load, and it gave me an opportunity to hear stories from persons from all around the world about their journey with Christ.
![]() |
| Pretending to the the captain |
Apart from the Book Fair which sells books at very low prices, there are also events which are held on board the ship targeting different audiences. I was able to take the youths from Bible Club to an event for teenagers where they were encouraged by knowing that God has a plan and purpose for their life. I also took my niece and nephew to an event for children where they were exposed to praying for persons in different countries all around the world.
![]() |
| Taking the teens from Bible Club through the Journey of life after they finished in the Book Fair |
As part of our volunteer programme, we were involved in Discipleship training sessions where we were taught about Discovery Bible Study. In this method of Bible Study participants are encouraged to discover the truths from a passage together by asking the questions: What is God saying? How will you obey? Who will you share it with? We also learnt about the importance of finding our identity in Christ, because we would not be able to function or fulfill purpose outside of Him. In one session we were challenged to examine our role in sharing the gospel among the least-reached, and encouraged to bring people to God through exposure to His Word. Finally, we were encouraged to grow our prayer plan, as prayer is essential for successful ministry.
![]() |
| At one of our Volunteer training sessions |
In my previous volunteer experiences on the Logos I have been assigned to assist in the Book Fair, serve as an Ambassador taking persons through the story of the prodigal son after they visit the book fair and giving them an opportunity to evaluate where they stood in terms of their relationship with God, and also as a Tour guide, showing visitors areas on the ship outside of the Book Fair and sharing how they can join as short-term crew members to bring knowledge, help and hope throughout the various ports which are visited.
![]() |
| Taking in the view outside of Deck 7 |
This year, God had different plans in store for me. I had told the Volunteer Co-ordinator that I would be willing to serve in whatever area they needed help in, and when the assignments were called out, I discovered that I was placed in the Galley, where the food was being prepared. Our job as volunteers would be to assist the Galley crew by cutting up vegetables and meat, and cleaning the kitchen area in between meals.
At first I was not so sure about this because I do not enjoy cooking and someone once told me that the kitchen is not my area of ministry. However, we were warmly welcomed by the Galley crew and every day they expressed their tremendous gratitude for the help we provided, because they didn't have the quota of volunteers that they usually have. While prepping for the meals we were able to get to know each other better as we shared our stories, and it was encouraging to see how God brought persons through so many different situations, and they were serving there as living testimonies of His grace.
![]() |
| I never peel so much onion and cut up so much potato in my life! |
Every local volunteer is scheduled to have one Connect Day during their time on the ship. This is the day that we leave our regular posts and get to engage with members of the public. Since all of my time on board the ship was spent in the galley, this was my first opportunity to interact with persons who visited the Book Fair. We met them in the cafeteria area, had God-conversations with them, and prayed with those who were willing to be prayed for.
![]() |
| Persons were also writing their prayer requests and placing them in envelopes so we could pray for these requests |
This experience of serving from the background reminded me of 2 Timothy 2:21-21:
"In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work."
I experienced firsthand the value of those who serve behind the scenes, because without their faithful ministry, the ship's company would have not had the physical sustenance needed to perform effectively in their respective areas of service. I have a newfound respect and admiration for those who function in the kitchen for large numbers of persons, because it requires a certain level of stamina to serve breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday! I thank God for the opportunity to once again partner with the Logos Hope during their time in Trinidad, and look forward to when next they come.
![]() |
| Bidding farewell until the next time |




.jpg)
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment