Monday 16 June 2014

Birthday bashment in Grenada


You only celebrate your thirty-fifth birthday once (you read that right - 35!!!) and it's not every year that you get to celebrate it in a country like Grenada, so I am grateful to God that He provided the opportunity for me to celebrate in the way I did.

My week of celebrations started last week Monday, which was a public holiday. Me and my 'Discover Grenada' crew journeyed to a river in Victoria where we spent the day enjoying the serenity and beauty of God's handiwork.

It was so relaxing listening to the water flowing over the rocks,
the wind blowing through the trees and
the birds singing their songs of praise to God
There were many beautiful flowering plants
which provided the perfect background for pictures :)
My first taste of Grenadian Brown down cooked on a fireside!
Sliding down into the river with the children
For my actual birthday weekend, I was blessed to have my brother and some of his wife's family, and my Pumkin to visit for the weekend.
The Trini posse arrives
 We had planned to take a catamaran cruise around the southern coast of Grenada, with one stop to snorkel at the Underwater Sculpture Park, and another stop at Hog Island. For the entire week the weather was unpredictable - raining heavily at intervals, and blazing sun at others. Coleen asked me what was our Plan B in the event of inclement weather, but I didn't have one.

My God who knows the desires of my heart really proved His love and care for me by providing us with perfect beach weather on my birthday!!!
Famalee!!!!!!
Enjoying the view aboard the catamaran
This was the vibe for the whole day...
Most creative birthday cake ever!!!
Modelling my birthday present from my Mummy :)
My Pumkin's first time snorkelling
Beautiful fishes feeding off the corals on the underwater sculptures
Smiling fishies!!!
Chilling on Hog Island with my girls :)

Serious oil down moment just before the sheep came
and stole a piece of breadfruit from Shiyanne's lunch
Cutting the cake with my Pumkin
Taking a dip in the cool waters off the island
Real live starfish found by my brother in Grand Anse 
Sunset at the end of a perfect day
 My birthday week ended with a curry lime. My efforts to introduce my Grenadian friends to Trini-style curry was met with initial enthusiasm, until dey realised it was pepper more dan buss up shut...

Before the pepper...
Dese chirren had us cracking up whole night with their antics
Family meets friends
One of the crazy fun games we played
Chilling on the porch after having our full of curry
Always a fun time when this bunch gets together...
Ending the evening in worship
I truly had an enjoyable time with my Grenadian and Trini family who were able to share my birthday weekend with me. Thanks to all who sent post cards, gave gifts, called to give their greetings (sorry for those whose calls I missed), sent emails, facebooks greetings and whatsapp messages - I truly appreciate the time and effort you took to touch base with me on my special day. I thank God for all who sacrificed and laboured to make this my best Grenadian birthday ever!!!!



3 comments:

  1. Of course we ARE Jealous seein as we cuddnt be dere to njoy d fun with u, but dat doh change our love 4 u or bein happy dat u r happy. U deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, I'm the worst! I'm glad you had a wonderful birthday! Thank God for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!! Glad that you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete